Do you pencil in your “self care”? And by “self care”, I mean, the things that fill you up spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically. Today on the blog, I’m sharing about ten areas of self care for busy moms to consider penciling into your routine as well as a look into what I pencil in on the regular.
A while back, I shared about how I started to pencil in my weekly bath nights and shower days. There were years there as mom that I often had no clue the last time I had a shower..(I mean, I had a basic idea, but it’s something I had to actively think about, you know?).
Ten areas of self care for busy moms to consider penciling into your routine
1. Spiritual self care - spiritual reading, bible study, podcast listening, prayer, spiritual music, book study
2. Mental care - stimulating conversations, readings, growing/thinking, taking a course
3. Physical self care - move your body, rest your body, get a bath type stuff, eating healthier etc.
4. Nature - get outside, breathe deeply, notice and breathe in nature
5. Audio self care - Taking a break from noise or listening to beautiful music.
6. Imagination - read a thought provokifiction book.
9. Duties done with love
10. Routines - what needs work? Waking up earlier, getting in your daily prayer time, eating healthy, and so on
And there’s something to be said about actually writing things down that helps us to commit it to memory and to our lives. It has a higher chance of sticking.
Some of what my pencilled in self care looks like now:
- Saturday bath night + podcasts PS listen to Make Joy Normal for your weekly bath night, featuring yours truly this week!
- Friday night veg out night
- Getting out for a jaunt in nature 3x a week
- Calling a friend once a week
- Reading a fiction book at least 2x a week
- Morning prayer in peace + 3x a week a spiritual book and/or podcast
- A day “off” every few weeks. My husband and I switch off every couple of weeks. We started this a couple months ago and it’s been working really nicely.
Daily quiet time for myself and the kids… I often rest or work here depending on what I need day to day.
It’s a noisy life. It’s a noisy home with three boys and a toddler girl, and my goodness, it’s so easy for time to slip by and the day happen to to me without thinking about it. Penciling in these kinds of things makes it more likely that these things will happen.
PS Needing more of a plan to get you more motivated for some self care time? I found a list of twenty other ideas for self care ideas for moms. If you’d like, send me an email at email@example.com and I’d be happy to send you that list!
Hi, I’m Kelly! I’m a mother of four children - three boys, one toddler girl - and our family lives on the beautiful east coast of Canada. I’m a past elementary teacher, turned stay at home, work at home mom eight years ago after I had my second child. I’ve found that the busier I’ve become and as my children age, that it’s become even more important to figure out what is most important to me and us as a family. Living a simpler lifestyle has helped us in so many ways in our home life - from better routines to faster tidying up times. It has been through my children that I have been inspired to learn how to effectively manage my time and to simplify in all areas of my home and life. I enjoy helping busy moms simplify home life by teaching flexible planning methods and skills. Enjoyed this blog and think it would be helpful to others? I'd love if you shared it. Thank you!