You can goal set and have a slow, sane paced life. This is something I just realized for myself. I never goal set until recently. I thought it would just stress me out because I have memories of school stress, I think. I don’t use goal setting to speed up my life. I more so use it to help me stay sane and slow, but also work towards things that have been placed before me. And I found simple goal planning ways that are more aligned with my sane paced way of life, which I’ll be breaking down for you down below. Today on the blog I’m sharing how to start goal setting without stressing out.
What’s a smart goal?
From hubspot’s blog:
The “SMART” acronym stands for “specific,” “measurable,” “attainable,” “relevant,” and “time-bound.” Each SMART goal you create should have these five characteristics to ensure the goal can be reached [.].
A breakdown of the smart goal steps
- Set Specific Goals. What is it? Be specific. General goals or too many goals can lead to burnout or overwhelm and never starting.
- Set Measurable Goals. Give exact amounts, dates, etc, so you can measure as you go. It helps to have a track to see where you’ve come from and where you are going.
- Set Attainable Goals. I used to reach for the stars. Oops. You know what that leads to? Burnout.
- Set Relevant Goals. Are they aligned with who you are and your values?
- Set Time-Bound Goals. Instead of just “one day”, giving yourself a date can help you work towards a goal steadily. Want to go slower? Give yourself way more time than you think you need. - - This is me.
Smart goals and the simple goal setting method I use that’s shared about on this blog and this book I read last year – they are helping me plan out a bigger project right now. It’s made things a lot clearer and simpler and low stress for me. I’m excited about it!
PS A couple weeks ago, I created a freebie for my mail list all about smart goals and a deeper dive into the goal planning method I shared about so you can apply it to your life too. It was called “Simple, stress free goal setting” with clear steps to go through the process. If you’d like that, I’d be happy to email it off to you for free. Just send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hi, I’m Kelly! I’m a mother of four children - three boys, one toddler girl - and our family lives on the beautiful east coast of Canada. I’m a past elementary teacher, turned stay at home, work at home mom eight years ago after I had my second child. I’ve found that the busier I’ve become and as my children age, that it’s become even more important to figure out what is most important to me and us as a family. Living a simpler lifestyle has helped us in so many ways in our home life - from better routines to faster tidying up times. It has been through my children that I have been inspired to learn how to effectively manage my time and to simplify in all areas of my home and life. I enjoy helping busy moms simplify home life by teaching flexible planning methods and skills. Enjoyed this blog and think it would be helpful to others? I'd love if you shared it. Thank you!