Is your living room an explosion more often than not? I’m going to be honest and upfront here. This is a work in progress for our homeschooling family of six - our oldest is almost eleven, youngest being 2.5. Today on the blog, I’m sharing four ideas to go from living room explosions to clear floors (well, tidier floors, more like it because hey, we live in our homes). And maybe one of them is your solution to the explosive living room too.
Four Ideas to Go from Living Room Explosions to Clear Floors
- Use baskets, boxes, and bins to organize and reduce visual clutter. I like to use what I have first because sometimes I have to declutter more.
- Have designated places for everything. Having a “home” for everything helps with quicker tidying up sessions. Marie Kondo is big on enouraging people to have a spot for everything. That’s one of the teachings that stuck with me when I read through her method years ago. You can find more about her method here.
- Declutter first and then organize after. Don’t bother washing our energy on organizing if we plan to declutter soon because then we’re organizing stuff that’s going to be gone out the door! Right? See this blog here on why we should declutter first before organizing.
- Bookshelves/hidden shelves for quick tidying up times. I love a hidden shelf with doors for books and toys. It just reduces a lot of visual clutter and looks oh.so.pretty. It makes it so much quicker for tidying up too.
Having a tidy living room with clear floors takes intentional routines and habit building surrending tidying as well as some creative, consistent organization. Decluttering is also a big factor towards having clear floors. I hope these four ideas to go from living room explosions to clear floors was helpful for you today! Here’s to tidier living rooms!
One of the areas I teach about in my Simplify Your Home Life: a course for busy moms is on building routines and habits, which can be applied to tidying. Find more about the course HERE.
SAVE FOR FUTURE REFERENCE:
Other blogs of mine you may enjoy:
- How to Design a Simple Cleaning Routine
- How to Discover Your Tidying Personality
- One Daily Tidying Routine that Will Save You Money and Time
(updated Sept. 30th 2021)
Hi, I’m Kelly! I’m a mother of four children - three boys, one toddler girl - and our family lives on the beautiful east coast of Canada. I’m a past elementary teacher, turned stay at home, work at home mom eight years ago after I had my second child. I’ve found that the busier I’ve become and as my children age, that it’s become even more important to figure out what is most important to me and us as a family. Living a simpler lifestyle has helped us in so many ways in our home life - from better routines to faster tidying up times. It has been through my children that I have been inspired to learn how to effectively manage my time and to simplify in all areas of my home and life. I enjoy helping busy moms simplify home life by teaching flexible planning methods and skills. Enjoyed this blog and think it would be helpful to others? I'd love if you shared it. Thank you!